Tips From Neil

Neil was the Bpeace non-member who raised the most money for last year's Campaign. This year Neil is not only a Bpeace member, but he's the Sponsorship Committee Chairperson.

I started out by e-mailing everyone I knew introducing Bpeace and what we are trying to accomplish. E-mailing friends and colleagues was a warm approach and many were receptive to the e-mail. Some gave immediately, others gave after a polite follow-up call and explanation of what Bpeace is and still others gave after a follow-up call and simply responded to the passion in my voice, giving more so because of me than for Bpeace itself.

Following the success of this, I branched out to people I was less acquainted with and also asked for referrals from those that gave of others they thought might be interested in donating. I then followed-up myself with a similar e-mail. I used the person's name as an introduction and then if need be a phone call.

I didn't pressure anyone, but I also didn't give up easily if they said no. I simply mentioned that a gift of even $5 would help tremendously. For friends and acquaintances I would say, "If you'd buy me a cup of coffee, please give that same money to Bpeace instead." That is the last thought I left them with - the rest was then up to them.

I continued in this manner and reached out to as many people as I could. As word spread, it made asking easier and emboldened me to press further. Again, I kept things light. The people I followed up with again and again until they donated were those that said yes but didn't donate in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment